Friday, 15 September 2017

Task 7: Video research (Task 1)







After completing this task, I have distinguished the different codes and conventions for different genres of music. I noticed that the micro-features in indie music are completely different in comparison to music such as heavy metal. The indie song i looked at was Waves by Sleeper Agent. The video came across as weird and unusual, which i sort of expected as i know indie music is unique and different so i guessed some of the videos would be too. The typical codes and conventions I came across didn't surprise me with aspects of mise en scene, editing and camera work. The mise en scene was the weirdest with things going upside down and in different directions. Looking at the examples i chose from the genres hip hop and heavy metal, i was surprised. In the hip hop video i looked at, i expected faster cuts as well as an undeveloped narrative, as most of the time hop hop is solely based around the money side of the industry with many artists thinking it's essential to show off all their expensive clothes and assets. From looking at the example i picked as well as a number of others, i noticed the theme of love come through an awful lot which can e shown through the use of mise en scene but also camera work and editing. Before looking at heavy metal, i didn't know what to expect although it wasn't what i saw. Not all heavy metal music videos are like Slipknots but as it's the one i saw, I noticed a lot of differences to the other genres. First, the camera was different with a lot of close ups of the bands faces(masks) and the other people in the narrative. As well as camera, the mise en scene was different with the focus being of the location and not really the narrative. The band were wearing masks which isn't normally seen in any other genre. Overall, I noticed a lot of codes and conventions which I can hopefully incorporate in my final piece, as i will probably be doing an indie song, i will look at more indie song videos and get a wider insight on other codes and conventions of the genre.






No comments:

Post a Comment