Tuesday, 16 January 2018

Digipak:Front cover

The front cover was not how I intended. My intended design was meant to look much different with the main photo being a man with his leg in the air(looking like he's about to step down, whilst walking). When taking this photo, I encountered a few problems. The photo in general didn't look good because the main part of the photo was the actors foot, although it looked good when i planned it, it didn't look good when taking it. The lighting was also an issue. The flash on the camera projected a shadow on the ceiling and the flash caused his trousers to be brightly lit but the rest of his body normal. The ripples in his shirt also makes the photo look unprofessional and bad. When in the studio, I had a few ideas of photos which could make the front cover instead. I wanted both drummer and singer to feature in the front cover, although when planning, I didn't think we were going to use a drummer. I felt the singer needed to take up more space on the cover as he was the main person in the video so i decided to get a shot of the singer, taking up the right hand side of the image in a close up shot with the drummer near his right shoulder in the background. I feel the image was better than the original idea because it introduces both members and the actual photo looks professional and appropriate in terms of the codes and conventions of the genre.
The actual photo used
Original idea for front panel


For the actual edited photo, I originally wanted a Mura Masa style to the digipak although this turned out unsuccessful. However, I felt that the front cover could still adopt this style, even if the other panels didn't. The front cover helped boost my Photoshop skills and develop on the skills i already had. I initially wanted the name of the band to be located at the top left, above the image with the image focused more on the right hand side and not centered. The name of album would then be near the bottom right. This design almost gave the panel a stair look with the words and photo continuously going down the screen. However, after feedback, I decided to change the layout as it didn't look too good. Instead I centered it all and this simple alteration made the panel look much better. The background of the panel is a faint yellow with a paper-like texture, giving it a more retro/grainy feel which I wanted throughout the entire digipak.
Final piece

No comments:

Post a Comment